Storage and Shelf Life
Thermal Paper Recommendations
Thermal Paper Information
There are NO controversial chemicals, bisphenol-A (BPA) in Micro Format
SecureGuard™ Thermal Rx Paper Rolls.
- Fade Resistant Thermal Paper
The image on thermal paper will begin to fade over a period of time.
If fading images will create a problem, our 21# heavier direct thermal paper IS Fade Resistant.
- Water Resistant Thermal Paper
Water resistant thermal paper is designed withstand rain and moisture.
This direct thermal paper is more expensive than typical thermal paper.
but much less expensive than Waterproof Polypropylene Direct Thermal material.
- Scratch Resistant Thermal Paper
A top coating on heavier premium direct thermal paper helps prevent scratches.
If you run your fingernail across a sheet of thermal paper, a line will appear. This line is caused by friction at the point your fingernail meets the thermal paper surface. The top coating on premium thermal paper acts as a barier between your fingernail and the thermal paper surface.
- Waterproof Thermal Paper
True waterproof thermal material is not paper. It is specially coated Polypropylene material (plastic).
This direct thermal material is waterproof, fade resistant and may be archived for at least 25 years.
- For information and prices
FADE RESISTANT direct thermal - WATER RESISTANT direct thermal - WATERPROOF direct thermal paper and materials
Contact CUSTOMER SERVICE at Micro Format to discuss your Thermal Paper needs.
Thermal Paper Facts by The Council for Thermal Paper Facts.
The Council for Thermal Paper Facts is an industry-sponsored informational resource for business,
regulators, the media and all with an interest in the technical, scientific, health and environmental facts about thermal paper
Information below - supplied by Appleton Papers
Alpha® 820-3.4 ~ Archival Properties: 10 years
- Grades ~ In 2009, Appleton Thermal Papers were re-formulated.
The Revised Formula yields an improved Darker Image.
- 21# High Sensitive "Alpha® 820-3.4" is used for medical prescriptions,
and other roll or cut sheet applications including documents that may require
a storage life of 7 to 10 years.
- Shelf Life ~ Storage of Blank UnProcessed Appleton thermal products in a dark place at a relative humidity between 45 percent
and 65 percent and a temperature below 77°F (25°C) will assure satisfactory performance for at least three
years from the date of manufacture.
- Image Life - Once Appleton "Alpha® 820-3.4" thermal products have been imaged on the recommended equipment, Appleton
Papers expects the image will remain legible for Seven (7)to Ten (10) years, assuming the documents are properly
stored with compatible materials under normal filing conditions, with a relative humidity between 45 percent
and 65 percent, as well as a temperature below 77°F (25°C). (See the following pages for image life of
specific paper grades.)
- Fade Resistance ~ Appleton "Alpha® 820-3.4" Thermal Paper uses dye and co-reactant technology
to form an image. The combination is slightly sensitive to Ultraviolet (UV) light and
may exhibit some image decline with extended exposure to office light or shorter exposure
to intense UV light. The stability of the image will depend upon the degree to which the image
was originally developed, the intensity of the UV light and the character of UV
(percentage of UV range in the light source). Background discoloration may also occur with
prolonged exposure to UV light.
- Contact Storage ~ We recommend that Thermal Paper not be exposed
for long periods to certain vinyl plastic shrink wraps, adhesives, wet-toner copies of
certain carbon papers.
- The thermal image will remain legible for entire shelf life provided the image is fully developed on the recommended thermal printer and the
document is stored with compatible materials under normal filing conditions. Maintain at relative humidity between 45 and 65 percent and temperatures
below 77°F (25°C).
- Appleton Papers ~ for additional information on Thermal Paper Products manufactured
by Appleton Papers, review Appleton Papers Storage and Shelf Life Recommendations
For additional information please call Micro Format, Inc. at 800-333-0549
or send us an e-mail message
Contact Support - Micro Format, Inc
Copyright © 2005- Micro Format, Inc., All Rights Reserved
Micro Format, Inc.
830-3 Seton Court ~ Wheeling, IL 60090
847/520-4699 ~ FAX 847/520-0197